The Old Northside
Establishment. The Old Northside Foundation, Inc. was
incorporated in 1990. The members of the neighborhood association
determined that for the neighborhood to be able to accept gifts
and apply for grants, an entity with 501(c)(3) federal tax status
needed to be created. The Old Northside Foundation, Inc., an Indiana
corporation with state and federal nonprofit status, was established.
Bylaws. A copy of the ONS Foundation Bylaws, in pdf format,
is available by clicking here.
Focus. The development of neighborhood parks has been
the Foundation's primary focus. All of the Old Northside parks
are open to the public:
- Great Oak Commons. Located in the 1400 block of North
Park Street, Great Oak Commons is a gaslit Victorian walking
park complete with sensory garden designed with fragrant and
textured perennial flowers.
- Shawn Grove Park. Located in the 1400 block of North
Alabama Street, Shawn Grove Park is a children's park with playground
equipment for toddlers and older children. This park was fully
renovated in the summer of 2002 and updated with new equipment
and landscape materials.
- The Frank and Judy O'Bannon Old Northside Soccer Park.
Approximately 17 acres of land for the soccer park, located on the
eastern edge of the neighborhood, was leased to the Foundation
from the State of Indiana. Since 1998 it has been home to Tab
Soccer, the Hispanic Center's summer youth soccer league, and
the Indianapolis Christian School. The park serves as a trailhead and parking for the
Trail. In 2003 the park become part of the Indy Parks system. At that time
the name was changed to honor and recognize the role that former ONS residents
Frank and Judy O'Bannon served to create this park.
Even with Indy Parks management,
the ONS neighborhood has remained active in the future
use and development of the park.
Northside Foundation Mission
To promote the preservation
of the unique heritage of the area known as the
To preserve, restore and
replace the artifacts and historical items of the
To preserve the historic
or architectural character of the community through
the acquisition and disposition of property when
To combat community deterioration
and to promote the protection and enhancement of
this historic area.
To repair, maintain and develop
the infra-structure of the historic area.
College Corner.The Old Northside Foundation,
Inc. in collaboration with National City Development Corporation
and Historic Landmarks Foundation, is responsible for the ongoing development of
College Corner, the area of the Old Northside that is east of
College. This project has spurred the development of more than 15 new homes,
the rehabilitation of seven original homes, as well as extensive work
on the curbs and alleys. Historic street lights to match the rest
of the neighborhood were also installed. As part of this project,
in 2001 the Foundation was awarded the "Monumental Award" from
the Indianapolis chapter of the American Institute
of Architects for "excellence in design, development, and construction
and neighborhood beautification".
Central Avenue Art Project. The Central Avenue Art project was completed in 2005. This multi-year project culminated with the dedication of two pairs sculptural columns along Central Avenue in the Old Northside. Again the foundation was recognized in 2005 with a "Monumental Award" from the Indianapolis chapter of the American Institute
of Architects, for public art.
The success of the Foundation is due to the generosity of residents
and neighbors who give of their time and their resources to make
a difference in the Old Northside and the larger community. If
you would like to learn how you can make a contribution or volunteer
on a project contact the Old
Northside Foundation, Inc.