What is "The Old Northside"? This phrase encompasses a geographic district with a rich historical past and a thriving 21st century community of neighbors:
The Old Northside Historic District: Located about a
mile north and several blocks east of the center of downtown Indianapolis, the area now known as The Old Northside was the home, during the second half of the 19th century, of the principal
leaders of Indianapolis social, political, commercial and industrial
life, as well as the location of leading religious and educational
The Old Northside reached its peak as the fashionable residential
district of Indianapolis just before 1914. In the years following
World War I, the area began a period of slow decline. Decline
accelerated after World War II and during the 1950's. By the mid-1970s,
a significant amount of the original houses had been demolished.
In 1978 the area was placed on the federal National Register
of Historic Places as an historic district. Shortly after
the City of Indianapolis adopted The Old Northside Historic Preservation
Plan, which serves as the basis for the legal designation of the
Old Northside as an "historic area of Indianapolis-Marion County,"
and gives the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission authority
to exercise "historic area review" over all design, demolition
and exterior appearance changes that are undertaken in The Old
Northside. Since then most of the historic buildings have been renovated
and historically sympathetic in-fill housing has been built, making The
Old Northside one of the premier historic districts in the mid-west.
The Old Northside Neighborhood Association: In 1976 a
number of homeowners and residents of The Old Northside formalized
their neighborhood association as The Old Northside, Inc.
The organization has been very
active in the past 30 years in improving the physical aspects
of the neighborhood and representing the interests of the neighborhood
before various governmental agencies. In addition, the organization
hosts social functions and facilitates neighborhood communication.
The Old Northside Foundation: In 1990 members of the
neighborhood association determined that to be able to accept
gifts and apply for grants, an entitiy needed to be created with
501(c)(3) federal tax status. The Old Northside Foundation, Inc.
was established. They now work hand in hand with the neighborhood
association on the maintenance and oversight of the three parks in the
neighborhood. Donors to the Old Northside Foundation, Inc.
may qualify for charitable tax deductions.
The Propylaeum, 1410 N. Delaware St., Indianapolis, Indiana,
USA, is featured in the panoramic photo at the top of this page.
Completed in 1892, the main residence, carriage house and grounds
constitute one of the more significant historic properties
in the Old Northside.