A Premier Indianapolis Historic District

Menu

The Old Northside Foundation

The Old Northside Foundation, Inc. was incorporated as an Indiana corporation in 1990 as a 501(c)(3) federal and state tax exempt organization.

The Foundation's mission is:

  • To promote the preservation of the unique heritage of the area known as The Old Northside.
  • To preserve, restore, and replace the artifacts and historical items of the neighborhood.
  • To preserve the historic or architectural character of the community through the acquisition and disposition of property when possible.
  •  To combat community deterioration and to promote the protection and enhancement of this historic area.
  •  To repair, maintain, and develop the infrastructure of the historic area.

Current Efforts

Development and maintenance of the neighborhood's parks and public places is The Old Northside Foundation's primary focus.

Great Oak Commons is a gas-lit Victorian park located in the 1400 block of North Park Street. Recent projects include restoration and replacement of turf and landscaping, as well as maintenance of the Victorian fountain that serves as the park’s focal point. 

Shawn Grove Park is a park for children located in the 1400 block of North Alabama Street with playground equipment for toddlers and older children. Recent years have seen the installation of rubber mulch in the play areas and improvements in landscaping to include an irrigation system.

    Support the Foundation

    Officers & Board

    • Garry Elder, President
    • Hilary Barnes,  Vice President
    • Pat McGuffey, Secretary
    • Dianna Mullendore, Treasurer
    • Tom Mote, Director
    • Megan Robinson, Director
    • Lisa Cavell, Honorary
    • Nancy Inui, Honorary
    • Doug Meagher, Honorary
    ONS Foundation Bylaws (.pdf)

    We Need Your Help

    The success of The Old Northside Foundation is due to the generosity of residents and neighbors who give of their time and their resources to make a difference in the neighborhood and the larger community. If you would like to learn how you can make a contribution or volunteer on a project, contact the Old Northside Foundation, Inc.

    Past Projects

    OBannon Soccer signThe Frank and Judy O'Bannon Old Northside Soccer Park is a 17-acre soccer park located on the eastern edge of the neighborhood. Originally leased to The Old Northside Foundation by the State of Indiana in the late 1990s, it became part of the Indy Parks system in 2003 and its name was changed to honor and recognize the role that former ONS residents Governor Frank and Judy O'Bannon played in establishing this park. It is also a trailhead for the Monon Trail.

    college corner map

    College Corner was a collaboration with National City Development Corporation and Historic Landmarks Foundation leading to the development of College Corner, the neighborhood area east of College Avenue. It spurred the development of more than 15 new homes and the rehabilitation of seven original homes. The Old Northside Foundation received the "Monumental Award" from the Indianapolis chapter of the American Institute of Architects in 2001 for "excellence in design, development, and construction and neighborhood beautification" for this project.

    The Central Avenue Art Project was completed in 2005. This multi-year project culminated with the dedication of two pairs of sculptural columns along Central Avenue. The Old Northside Foundation was recognized in 2005 with a "Monumental Award" from the Indianapolis Chapter of the American Institute of Architects for public art.


      Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software